As I mentioned in my last post, I had such a relaxing Memorial Day weekend that I was inspired to pull out the Kitchen Aid and bake something from SCRATCH. (gasp!) Actually, I was just tired of my Mom asking me if I'd used the mixer (that I begged for Christmas before last) lately. : )
So, seeing that so many delicious fruits are in season in my area, I decided to go with a blueberry muffin. It sounded simple enough and I figured it would involve the least amount of steps. I was right. I quickly Googled a recipe and landed on this one at www.allrecipes.com. I was called To Die For Blueberry Muffins, and it had over 6,000 four star ratings, so I figured it was a safe bet. Best of all I had everything already in house that I needed with the exception of baking powder. Not something we non-baking chicks keep on hand.
It wouldn't be a homemade recipe if you didn't alter something, so of course I did. Therefore, some of the ingredients you see here, I ended up not needing. I don't really like that sugary topping on muffins so I eliminated that part. The link above provides it in the recipe if you prefer those extra calories. : )
So here goes...
Original recipe makes 8 large muffins (FYI: mine made 7)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder (I added 1/2 tsp of cinnamon)
- Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup.
- Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups right to the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
Hot out of the oven, these were really delicious. I will definitely be making them again. See Mom, I am using my mixer. : )
And is it just me or is that a totally "Pin"able image or what? Hint, Hint.